VLC Media Payer is one of the best media players that will play almost any format of video or audio file that you have on your computer. If that’s all you use it for then you’re missing out on the other cool features that are included with the VLC media player.
So, today I’ll show you 5 tips, tricks and features of VLC Media Player.
Screen Recorder within VLC
If you ever need to record your entire desktop, VLC offers a built-in screen recorder.
How it works:
- Go to media from the drop down select open capture device.
- Change the capture mode to desktop in options.
- Choose the desired frame, rate for the capture. [Minimum you should enter in 30-60]
- Select convert now and select your video Codec [I prefer h.264 + mp3]
- Click on browse to choose the destination of your recording.
- Now give your file a name and click on save.
- Click start to begin your recording.
- When you’re done recording go back to VLC and click the stop button.
- Your recording will be available in the destination you specified.
Capture Snapshot within VLC
Inside the video, hover your mouse cursor over video and select take snapshot. The keyboard shortcut to do this on Windows and Linux is the “Shift Key +S”. On Mac, it’s the Command key + Alt + S. All screenshots are automatically saved to your pictures folder.
Audio and Video Converter
VLC includes a converter that can change a video or audio file to another format. This one is my absolute favourite feature that I use most often.
How you do it:
- Click on media and select convert.
- Save in the pop-up window
- Click on add and select the file that you’d like to convert.
- Click open then click on convert.
- Click save now and choose the file format you would like to convert your file to.
Record Video and Audio within VLC
VLC also provides the option to record a video or audio playing in VLC.
Here are the steps:
- Go to the menu bar and click on View.
- Select advanced controls in the lower left, a new layer will appear with more controls to begin recording.
- Click the record button to finish recording.
- Click the record button.
- Your video recordings are saved to your videos folder and audio recordings are saved to your music folder. you can bookmark parts.
Bookmark the Video
VLC making it easier to come-back user by providing a feature of the bookmark. It provides an easy option to choose those points where you want to reach and play the video.
How to use it:
- Go to the menu bar and click on playback.
- Go down to custom bookmarks and select manage in the new window.
- Click on create at the section of the video you’d like to bookmark.
- You can create as many bookmarks for a video that you need.